viernes, 9 de septiembre de 2011
jueves, 1 de septiembre de 2011
miércoles, 3 de agosto de 2011
martes, 19 de julio de 2011
miércoles, 6 de julio de 2011
Rosie Lee Tompkins style quilt
Isn't so easy as it looks to make a quilt like this. to let control and just go with the flow but i tried
no es tan fácil como parece hacer un quilt the este tipo...dejar de controlar y dejarse llevar..pero lo he intentado
jueves, 30 de junio de 2011
|Halfsquare scrap quilt 2011 ( 120 X 150 )|
This quilt is made with scraps and it can be made in a few hours
este quilt está hecho con retales. puede hacerse en unas horas
|Halloween quilt 2011 ( 150 x 150 )|
but this took longer, in fact i needed my daughter help to draw the figures. This quilt was a present for a family young girl
pero esta llevó mas tiempo, de hecho necesité la ayuda de mi hija para dibujar las figuras. este quilt es un regalo para una sobrina
viernes, 17 de junio de 2011
jueves, 16 de junio de 2011
|Happy quilts i made|
|Some of the quilts i have made grouped by style|
|I keep fabrics in this IKEA drawer chest (?)|
Where and when and from who did i learn them on quilting? Well, first in spanish quilting magazines. Sometimes it seems they are made to create rules.
Later, to my disgrace i bought the wrong books for begginers, those that insist on rules.
Each quilt was a test for me. It was boring, it was slow, it was isane...but i liked so much to work with fabrics, with those beautiful fabrics!!. I bought more books and i had luck this time, i found Gwen Marston´s Liberated Quiltmaking.I love this woman. What a relief i felt. Yes, this is one of the life changing books for people that want to be in charge of their own creative process and it proves it is possible and very, very easy. Of course it takes time to feel confortable with it but from the beginning i enjoyed each moment of it: it was exciting, it was liberating, it was quicker, it was much more interesting, it was an adventure that i could fit to my own expectations, skill and resources!!.
|Gwen Marston with her liberating book|
Of course the following are not rules, this is my way of making quilts, the way that work for me because it doesn´t take away the joy from it.
- Don´t buy coordinated fabrics. Just pick what i like of colections.
- Used clothes when possible.
- Use whatever fabric i have at the moment.
- First i group similar mood fabric or style then i choose the pattern.
- Scrap has to be used one way or another.
- ¿How do i choose color? I look the fabrics i want or "need" to use then i test different colors, shades...
- and, many times, change some of them in the desing wall. This is the real way for me to learn on colors.
- I wash only solid fabrics or the doubious (?) one.
- Cut fabrics sometimes only with scissors, cutter o both.
- Always pressed seams. Love this one. Seam, pressed, seam, pressed,.....
- Don´t care seams wide just do it the best i can.
- Never try to meet corner.
- If it is too long i cut, if too short i add.
- Love to use desing wall. I need perspective. I learn a lot on colors looking from the distance. I don´t exactly make it at the machine as in the wall desing but it help me a lot to get the idea of what i´m looking for.
- I don´t try this to be the perfect quilt. It is enough to know that i´m doing it the best i can for know. Have no doubt i´m learning and the next, maybe it will be better.
- I square block sometimes.
- The seams, well, i try to make them straight. Just enough for the quilt to lay more or less flat. Yes, i prefer the quilt to lay flat when possible, if no, well...next time, next quilt?
- I hand quilt. My reason is that i find so confortable. I can take it with me to any room in the house. Also is an opportunity to look closely the fabric prints.
domingo, 5 de junio de 2011
sábado, 21 de mayo de 2011
|Baile de estrellas|
now, what a disaster of picture! i couldn't get any better for now. anyway, more starst and keep going...the bending border look by now as a classic in my quilts
que desastre de foto. no pude conseguir otra mejor por ahora...mas estrellas y practicando...el borde fundido empieza a parecer un clasico en mis quilts
learning to take photos and photoshop. no cutter here, no measurement. the center fabrics are scrap from other quilt. i loved the dramatic effect of golden and black. to me these are the colors of Egipt
aprendiendo a hacer fotos, etc. nada de cutter y de medidas con este quilt. las telas del centro son retales de otro quil. me encanta el efecto dramático del dorado con el negro. para mí estos son los colores de egipto
viernes, 20 de mayo de 2011
Jean Dubuffet painting
"Art is an area open to the world, which does not require special skills or training, or previous start, anyone can appreciate and understand it most perfectly. All that matters is that they do not try to imitate anyone, but do do you feel like with simplicity, for his own satisfaction and without false shame. " (by google transletor)
"El arte es una esfera abierta a todo el mundo, que no requiere dotes particulares, ni instrucción, ni iniciación previa; cualquier persona puede apreciarlo y entenderlo perfectísimamente. Lo único que importa es que no trate de imitar a nadie, sino que haga lo que siente deseos de hacer con la mayor simplicidad, para su propia satisfacción y sin falsa vergüenza. "
domingo, 15 de mayo de 2011
another plain quilt. i love making them .in this the border is blended with the center
otra quilt sencilla. me encanta hacerlas. aqui el borde queda fundido con el centro
experimentando con el bloque housetop
love the colors in this quilt. fabrics are from very diferent collections but still work
me gustan los colores de este quilt . las telas son de diferentes colecciones, aún así funciona